Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

K-8 Virtual School Comes to Florida - Are we ready?


If you would have asked me a year ago how I felt about the idea of a virtual school for k-12, I would have been excited about the idea. That's when it would have seemed impossible. Now that it is becoming a reality statewide in Florida, I'm so sure how I feel anymore.

The Orlando Sentinel reports:
A new law that takes effect next fall requires every district in the state to set up an online school for kindergarten through eighth-grade students. They won't have to get on the bus -- or even get out of their PJs -- to head to school at the family computer.
I can definitely see the potential here for those already involved in homeschooling. But do we really want a significant number of our kindergarten and early elementary students missing out on what the classroom has to offer? Will their parents take advantage of other avenues for social interaction? I am a bit uneasy about this. The techno-evangelist side of me wants to be excited.

I'd really like to know what you think.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

virtual school is complicated because one of the biggest life tools gained in school is social skill. when you take those away then you will loose the passion and drive kids need to succeed in school. i think that virtual school would be great, but only as a part time deal; maybe take only a few classes online, but also go to classes at schools. it would also work if you did it full time but only for a year or two at the most. i don't think virtual school is a good idea