Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Getting ready for my first FETC

In just over 48 hours, I'll be leaving frigid Tallahassee for the somewhat less frigid Orlando. Since missing it last year, I have been looking forward to my first FETC. Funny thing is I not sure what I'm really looking forward to. Looking over the list of concurrent sessions is enough to give anyone a headache. Picking up freebies and checking out the latest tech gadgets in the exhibit hall should be interesting. But I think what I'm looking forward to most is meeting and making personal connections with people that I know only through words on their blogs. People that I've communicated with just 140 characters at a time.

The road to FETC 2010 has been bittersweet. Last year, when I decided that I would not miss this year's conference, I submitted a presentation proposal. I was excited when that proposal was accepted, and surprised when I found out that I had been given a 3-hour ticketed workshop. There's something about people paying an extra $100 to listen to what I have to say that added to the pressure of the whole thing. The bitter part came when I found out just a couple of weeks ago that the ticketed workshops were not attracting as many people as expected, and that mine was one of several that was being scrapped.

After a few days of being bummed over getting the ax, I decided that the role of attendee instead of presenter may be better for my first go around. So tomorrow I'll start packing for an early morning trip to Orlando on Wednesday. And when I get back on Saturday, I'll start putting together my presentation proposals for next year.

See you in Orlando.

No comments: